Friday 12 November 2010

One for the Weekend

Winter gives me a sweet tooth, and if you too are looking for something simple, speedy and sugary to devour in chunks (at intervals, or in one sitting) over the weekend, here's the thing to cure your craving. Nigella's (need I mention her second name? We all know exactly who I'm talking about? Good....) recipe for Rocky Road involves no real cooking, uses just five ingredients and includes no nasty surprises (i.e. raisins or nuts- always controversial subjects). I made a tray of this for my biology class last week (which partakes in the educational revolution that is Cake Friday) and it went down a treat; add the following to tomorrow's shopping list:

125g unsalted butter (i.e. half a packet)
300g dark chocolate
3 tbsp golden syrup
200g rich tea biscuits
100g mini marshmallows

Melt the butter, chocolate and the golden syrup over a moderate heat on the hob. Bash the biscuits up in a sturdy plastic bag until some are crumbs, but a few bigger bits remain. Once the melted mixture is all stirred together nicely, add the biscuits and marshmallows. Tip into a lightly greased tin and leave in the fridge for at least two hours, before cutting up into as-big-as-you-like slices. Dust with icing sugar if you want to be fancy, although it usually just annoys me to have powder all over my fingers...

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

1 comment: