Sunday 15 August 2010

Different Sizes, Same Passion #1




For my next few posts, I'd like to mention three...what can I call them?...food establishments, shall we say, that I have had the pleasure of visiting recently. All share the common criteria of a place which sells honest, tasty food that, in my opinion, should be celebrated and more widely consumed. I psychologically partner the three like a tiered wedding cake, with a large, medium and small, and it is in this way that I shall present them to you who are reading.
We begin with the largest, and certainly the most well-known, setup: Borough Market of South East London, which attracts tourists, travellers and Londoners alike to its food stalls every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Crowds flock to the site during the weekend; thus, I chose wisely to make my latest visit on a Thursday, when I would have the time and space to better take in that which Borough Market has to offer.
A good market must have an enticing atmosphere, and at Borough the shared enthusiam for food between vendors and visitors injects excitement into the air; not to mention the buzz of cheerful chatter that exists here also, along with waves of tasty smells given off by the street-food stalls. My sister and I caught the scent of chargrilled meats at lunchtime, and enjoyed a shared (pretty huge) Merguez sausage wrap from Cafe Brood (which opens up an outdoor kitchen for market days), see above, as well as picking up an aromatic portion of paella to take home.

Further on into the market, the produce on sale is an eclectic mix of fruits, meats, cheeses and breads; each stall proudly presented and with a holder happy to have you taste before you buy. This makes for the most interactive experience in food-shopping, as you sample the produce and chat to its cultivator; what's more, showing an interest and nice smile can often grant you a very generous portion for what you pay. It is this added social element that sets apart market-browsing from supermarket-dashing, and I'd urge you all to shop at food markets, big or small, as often as possible.

On the train home from London, my sister and I reflected regretfully on the foods we wished we'd bought at Borough Market. No matter, though; we'll just have to make a return trip there soon to pick them up...
Borough Market is open Thursday 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Friday 12 p.m.-6 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. in London SE1. Visit www.boroughmarket.org.uk for more information.

1 comment:

  1. I love Borough Market but have not visited for a long time, reading your blog has now inspired me to vist again very soon. Thank you, my tastebuds are well and truly tingling!

    ReplyDelete